I’m a huge fan of pretty much anything Caprese; Caprese salad, Caprese towers and of course, Caprese pizza. This pie is a fruity summer version, perfect for the almost overwhelming abundance of ripe, juicy peaches.
Ohemgee is this delicious. The pie itself is super easy to make, you just want to be careful with the balsamic reduction. It’s simple enough (1 cup boiling away on the stove) but make sure you stand there and watch it! I definitely burned my first batch after leaving it on the stove for a minute too long (embarrassing but true).
Slightly different from the original recipe, I still used my basic pie dough recipe and not a pizza dough recipe. Because of this, I had to bake mine for about 10 minutes longer than the recipe specified. Next time I’ll use a lower oven temp, around 425˚F, so that the toppings don’t become quite as toasty.
Also, instead of dicing the basil, I decided to go with a chiffonade. That way, you get larger bits of basil flavor but not too much to overpower the rest of the bite. This pie is the wonderful combination of savory and sweet, and so light it’s perfect for summer!
Summer Peach Caprese Pie – Recipe adapted from Love and Oil
- 1/2 recipe homemade pie dough
- 1 cup basalmic vinegar
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 8 ounces shredded mozzarella
- 2 ounces soft goat cheese, crumbled
- 4 peaches, pitted and thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup freshly diced basil
- Preheat the oven to 425˚F.
- To make the balsamic reduction, pour the balsamic vinegar into a small saucepan. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Reduce heat to medium-low, and simmer until the vinegar has reduced to 1/4 cup. Set aside, and cool to room temperature.
- Using a rolling pin, roll the dough out into a circle. Place the pizza on a pizza peel or pan.
- Lightly brush the dough with 1 tablespoon of olive oil. Top the dough with fresh shredded mozzarella, peach slices, goat cheese crumbles and fresh basil. Drizzle the pizza with balsamic reduction.
- Place the pizza in the oven-directly on the pizza stone, if using one, or on the oven rack. Bake for 10-15 minutes or until pizza crust is golden and cheese is melted.
- Remove from oven and let the pizza cool for a few minutes and then cut into slices and serve warm.